Friday, February 15

Unique Position

I was reading a bulliten board yesterday about "Should there be a Black History Month". I find myself in a very unique position here. I can see all sides, and I think everyone has a right to their opinion. I read a lot of stuff I considered ignorant, but who am I too judge anyone. You may think my opinion is ignorant too.

Here are the points I read and my opinion:

Should there be a Black History Month? ----------------- Black history and contributions of blacks to history should be taught every month. So should contributions and all races and ethnic groups. Classrooms should be taught on a global perspective.

If there was an asssocation or a month for the betterment of whites, it would be considered racist.---------------- Yes, it would. Is that right? Hell, I don't know. I think "help" organizations that are formed should not be restricted to any race or ethnicity.

White folks don't need their own help organizations, they already have it made.--------------Racism still exists in America, I know that. Yet I have found that the most prevelant discrimination comes from classism. I do think we have kind of a double standard though when it comes to people starting groups for, or too assist, folks of their own color or ethnic group. We have the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People......a wonderful organization that was created to assist black people, BUT if someone started the National Association for the Advancement of White People...people would be outraged.

When I went to community college, there were scholorships available to minorities that I did not have access to. I thought I should have had access to those funds as well.

Now, you may know, some of my children are biracial. When it comes down to legally indicating their race, I make sure they are listed as black..................because I know there is more help and funds available to minorities. In addition to this I have two white children, so that means there will be scholorships and other assistance available to one of my sons, but not the other. So who has the advantage? My white son because he is white or my black son because he is black.

No comments: